2019 was the second warmest year on record and the end of the warmest decade (2010- 2019) ever recorded. Carbon dioxide (CO2) levels and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere rose to new records in 2019.
If you are a small business, it’s pretty easy to put in place a simple sustainability policy that will actually save you money and not cost the Earth.
Here are just a few ideas to get started with your move towards a Greener environment, that will benefit your team, be a great incentive for new recruits and encourage environmentally conscious customers to choose you over competitors.
- Put in place a recycling program for bottles, plastics, paper, metal, batteries, technology, lights, packaging for toiletries and cosmetics
- Issue all team members with re-useable coffee cups
- Use water filters on taps, no plastic bottled water
- Review all appliances and ensure they are energy efficient
- Provide a bicycle storage area to allow for carbon neutral commutes to work & provide bicycles for use
- Provide an indoor composter, or worm farms for kitchen waste
- Update your light bulbs to be energy efficient
- Update your energy provider to a clean provider
- Stock the bathrooms with recycled and eco-friendly products
- Plant a Tree for every sale you make via a registered charity
- Host beehives on your rooftop garden or yard with a local beekeeper
To take things to the next level, you need to start to measure and reduce your carbon footprint as a business. This can get more complicated, depending on your industry however here are a few starting points:
- Survey your team commute to work to measure the emissions
- Monitor your power consumption
- Implement solar panels as your source of energy (there are Government subsidies available for businesses that make this super cost efficient)
- Introduce a carbon offset program
If you’d like to take control of your environmental footprint, Why Communications can help you get started with ideas and create a storytelling strategy for your stakeholders. Get in touch for more information!